Thursday, November 12, 2009

Light Rail Travel to the International Green Building Conference


My commitment to ongoing professional education usually requires long distance travel several times a year. How great for me that year’s International Green Building Conference was held in Phoenix!

It was my first time to use the light rail, and I am grateful that to have that transportation option. I had lived in Boston before moving to Phoenix, and was used to using the subway system to get about. It is very challenging to develop subway lines in a large, densely populated city, and I thought that since Phoenix didn't have that challenge, they would have a great transportation system worked out. Well, we are starting to move in that direction!

For those who have not used Phoenix's new light rail, it was a clean, smooth ride. I felt safe. Besides the less stress benefits of not having to drive, or find/pay for parking downtown, I was able to meet some wonderful people. On the way there, I dialogued with an Artist who was given a pass to the Green Conference by her Architect friend. She shared with me her experience living in and raising her family in what is considered an underground home in the East Valley, and how remarkable are the savings that her and her husband enjoy with low utilities. She said she had a small kitchen, and I asked if she had frameless cabinetry so she could maximize her storage space. She did not know what type of cabinetry she had, and with one question, I could tell she did not. I explained it to her the advantages of gaining an additional 10-20% more space to use in cabinets and drawers, and gave her Cook Remodeling’s website which has an article on cabinetry.

As we approached the stop close to the Phoenix Convention Center, the gentleman sitting in front of us told us that he was returning to the Green Building Conference. He told us he had preregistered the day before, and he would be happy to show us where we need to go to check in. He said otherwise it may take us a long time to find where to go with so many people, and he was right! We really appreciated his help navigating through the crowds.

On the way back, after a long day on my feet, I was glad to be able to sit back and relax. Not only did I travel across town faster not having to drive in the 5 PM traffic, I got to finish reading about Dorothy Day, an amazing woman, my assignment due that night for Just Faith, a social justice ministry formation class. With that time to recharge, I was ready to create dinner, eat, and go to class.

My next posting I will share some of what I learned at my day at the International Green Building conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment