Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Why a "Bidet Rinse" is as Standard as Hand Washing


Let's Get Personal

I remember the first time I saw a bidet. I looked at it, and wondered why some people would want to use one. It seemed awkward to imagine transferring from a toilet to a bidet, as well as sitting in the opposite direction. I guessed they used toilet paper before transferring, and again to dry off. In my mind I couldn't justify using up the space in a bathroom to have one. Eventually I found someone I felt comfortable asking, and they told me using a bidet is as standard of a routine as washing one's hands after using the bathroom, it simply was primitive, even barbaric (their description) to not rinse clean after using the toilet. I still was not sold.

At a Kitchen and Bath Show for professional designers, I saw that manufacturers were making a bidet and toilet combination. I had more interest, for at least in doing a remodel it did not require additional plumbing and space for a bidet, and who wants something else to clean? It sure seemed like an expensive experiment--what if the person didn't like it? or if it stopped functioning? It seemed like a hassle to have to replace a toilet that works fine to have a bidet, especially if you all ready had bought a dual flush unit to conserve water.

My girlfriend has a plumbing business, and she put a toilet/bidet combination in her showroom. She told her staff of plumbers that they had to try it at least once, so if their customers had questions, they would be familiar with the product. They rolled their eyes at the idea. What she never would have predicted, is the brawny men would always opt to use it! That was quite an endorsement for me--if these tough guys like it, anyone would! My interest grew in finding a good product to recommend.

Recently I found a company, Brondell that makes a Swash seat (pictured above), that a homeowner can install on their existing toilet in less than an hour. When I asked an "expert" as to why would one want to rinse after toileting, she offered a great explanation. "If your arm was dirty, you would not instinctively take a dry paper towel to try to rub it clean. You would want to get the area wet to help with the removal of the dirt." That made sense to me! I obtained one.

In my younger days, I used to shower daily. Being able to "swash" helps me feel clean and fresh every day. The seat and self-cleaning nozzles (one for posterior and one for feminine washes) are made of antibacterial material, the water is warm*, it even comes with a dryer* so you can cut down on toilet paper! (*models vary)

Brondell has also designed a product called, Perfect Flush you can add to your toilet to make it a dual flush unit. With a dual flush switch, it will use half as much water for a flush for those eight out of ten times that just has liquid waste. Its use can save between 3000-7000 gallons of water a year! Eric Corey Freed, author of Green Building & Remodeling for Dummies said, "The brilliant simplicity of Perfect Flush makes it one of the easiest and most cost effective ways to conserve water in your home."

Use the code COOK during checkout at Brondell to receive a 10% discount on all their products!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info! My husband & I were talking about adding a bidet when we remodel our master bathroom, but we just don't have the space for it. This is the perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete